TRUST IN THE LORD WITH ALL YOUR HEART,

And lean not on your own understanding;
In all your ways acknowledge Him,
And He shall make your path straight.

- Proverbs 3:5-6







Friday, April 9, 2010

A truly lovely dinner

Last night, Howard J. Honey and I were treated to dinner by our wonderful friends, Mike and Susan Burkhart. It was a celebration of sorts because Peter Mayer is in town and we always appreciate his voice, spirit, and good-humored company. We went to Fusco's on the river and drank wine on the patio as the sun set and, then, went inside just for the Halibut. Our conversation drifted from how our children still (pleasantly) surprise us, how Pete's daughter, India is graduating high school and why-on-earth-did-Pete-encourage-his-kids-to-go-away-to-school to talking about God's strength being perfected in our weakness and blessings upon blessings upon blessings. I love the people I was with last night. Their openness and support and the opportunity to laugh out loud is an incredible priceless gift. I certainly love my husband. How hard this has all been for him. Atlas shrugged. So far, Howard has only fidgeted some.

Howard felt comfortable enough in our loving company last night, to reveal something I did not know: That my chances of overcoming the little c, statistically, were not good. News to me, but he has known from the beginning. Again, how hard has this been for him! But here is what is so about this: It doesn't matter what the statistics are. I am. And I am here if God wants me here and in Heaven if he doesn't. Those of you who know me know I always tout the Win-Win options. This is one of those. My sense is that I'm sticking to this earthly coil for awhile. Really. I have clear visions of opening Goodland's new campus. (I also have visions of grand babies, but they are more like the sugarplum dreams of Christmas Eve.) I like being here. I have work to do, people to love and be loved by, and joy to experience, but, frankly, either way, God is taking care of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment